Paleo Friendly Lemon Bars
For the crust:
1/4 Cup of Honey
1/2 Cup coconut oil at room temperature – it should be the consistency of soft butter
1 pinch salt
1 Cup coconut flour sifted
For the lemon topping:
3 large Eggs
1/2 Cup Honey
2 tsps Lemon zest about 1 large lemon
2 tsps coconut flour sifted
1/2 Cup Fresh* Lemon juice about 3 large lemons
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and rub an 8×8 inch pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat together the honey, coconut oil and pinch of salt until creamy and well combined. Stir in the coconut flour until a dough forms.
3. Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan and bake until just lightly golden brown, about 8 minutes. Once cooked, let cool for 30 minutes.
4. Lower the temperature of your oven to 325 degrees and lower the oven rack to the 2nd from the bottom position.
5. Once the crust has cooled, gently whisk together the eggs, honey and lemon zest in a large bowl.
6. In a separate bowl whisk the coconut flour into the lemon juice, 1 tsp at a time, until well mixed.
7. Pour the lemon juice mixture into the egg mixture, whisking while you pour, until evenly combined.
8. Add blood orange slices for additional flare and taste!
9. Pour the topping over top of the cooled crust and bake until it is just set, and the very center is just slightly jiggly, about 21-23 minutes. Let cool completely at room temperature. Then, cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, best over-night. You need to let the crust completely cool, or it will be soft.